Musically, 1983 was something of a changing landscape. The definition of indie was rewritten when we were introduced to The Smiths. Synth pop seemed to dominate with bands such as Eurythmics, Heaven 17, Tears for Fears and Yazoo. The 12 inch single was king, no more so than New Order's Blue Monday. Goth found its way into the mainstream. The punk scene was still simmering. The UK top 40 was a mish-mash of everything. Pop, post-punk, heavy rock and reggae through to some of those dreadful "novelty" records. The Indie Charts told a different story.
1983 was also the year I started writing my fanzine.
As you may have already gathered, I am in the process of writing a book telling the story of my fanzine and beyond. It will include stories about and snippets from the original four publications, plus the 40th anniversary edition, selected clips from this blog and a ton of rare information related to the bands I featured. Nirvana, Peter Hook, Geno Washington, Orange Juice and The Only Ones are a smattering of the linked bands/artists. More info will follow in due course.
When I first asked my X followers for suggestions for the poll I was amazed at how many songs I either didn't know or had completely forgotten about. A mix of genres was represented. There's a full rundown chart-style of all 252 songs at the foot of the page. And once we got going, all the wonderful memories and photos started pouring in. I've tried to include as many of them as I can here on my blog but some of the more unique stories have been reserved for the final chapter of my book.
Many thanks to everyone who has contributed. I couldn't put these posts together without you. Special thanks once again to Aiden Tibbs for sharing so many photos of his incredible discs. I've included a smattering of them throughout.
Are you ready to jump on the nostalgia train once again? Here we go...
The Alarm - Sixty Eight Guns
Steve Oxlee is a gifted poet and a music lover, who has contributed greatly to all my polls as well as my blogs, 40th anniversary fanzine and forthcoming book. I already knew of his love of The Jam and all things Paul Weller, but through the poll I discovered he is also a big fan of The Alarm. He told me how "splendiferous" it was to see so much love for them, then went on to say, "The majority of the music press used to delight in being unnecessarily critical of the band, which only made us fans more determined to support them, creating an almost cult following. Mike Peters was always generous with his time with 'The Alarm Army' and genuinely appreciated the fans commitment."
Graham W was also a fan. He remembers jumping on stage at the Marquee with a group of others to sing 'Sixty Eight Guns' with The Alarm.
I am once again delighted to be able to share some of the amazing photos taken by @throughout this post. The images of Mike Peters below were taken the last time The Alarm played in Glasgow, only months before Mike passed away.
@harryhpalmer has such a broad musical knowledge. I always find it fascinating to read the snippets he contributes as we're working our way through the polls. Of this song he told me, "She's in Parties was taken from the album Burning from the Inside, with the band breaking up before the album's release. After reforming in 2008 and releasing Go Away White, the band promptly split up again, this time on the release of the album!
During the recording of Burning From the Inside, Peter Murphy was hospitalised with pneumonia, and the band wrote most of the album without him. This played a part in the split. The title inspired the name of the four piece UK indie band, 'She's in Parties'. The song has also been parodied by Half Man Half Biscuit ('She's in Broadstairs')."
The Beat - Can't Get Used to Losing You
Suze told me how much she loves this song. She said, "It reminds me of my Dad. He loved the Andy Williams version. When I bought the album by The Beat and played this song I think it was the only time he didn't say "What bloomin' rubbish is this?" when I played my music."
Interestingly, it was Dave Wakeling's dad who first suggested The Beat covered the track and put the idea in Dave's head. He had a listen and thought it sounded like it had a reggae bass line. The Beat went on to record it. They weren't the only ones who'd had the idea of covering the song however, although there is a question mark over who got there first.
In their pre-Wham! days, George Michael and Andrew Ridgeley were in a ska group called The Executive. They recorded a demo and one of the tracks on it was a cover of 'Can't Get Used to Losing You'. Their manager at the time took the demo to all the record companies. They got very close to Arista with Go Feet, but not quite close enough.
In a 1983 NME interview George Michael told Paolo Hewitt: "After the deal had fallen through I saw in a magazine, months afterwards, that it was coming out on the new Beat album. I thought, f***ing hell I can’t believe it! I was really pissed off. But to be totally honest there are two things that made me think it was pure coincidence. One is, we did it really badly. We did it really fast; and the other thing is that when Dave Wakeling sings it, he sings it so much like Andy Williams you get the impression that he was an actual Andy Williams fan."
It would be interesting to hear how it sounded with George Michael at the helm, but The Beat certainly made it their own.
There was such an outpouring of love for Big Country throughout the whole of the poll. Three of their singles featured, with 'In a Big Country' finishing in third place.
@wantthe80s summed up perfectly what a lot of people were feeling. "One of the best bands I've ever seen live, passionate, intense and uplifting. Not many others come anywhere near. It was about more than just the music. It was about hope and togetherness, and Stuart meant every word he ever sang."
@AffrenchFfrench remembered how he picked up his O Level results in the summer of '83, walked into Hereford and bought 'In A Big Country' to celebrate.
No poll blog post of mine would be complete without input from Kevin Webster. He's also contributed the most amazing story for the final chapter of my book. If you're a fan of Slade you will not want to miss it!
Kevin is a fan of Big Country and had this to say about their live shows. "I've been to some brilliant Big Country concerts and shouted myself hoarse singing "I thought that pain & truth were things that really mattered, but you can't stay here with every single hope you had shattered" What memories! Magic!"
Bruce Foxton - Freak
I know my friend @Carolyn_on_X is a huge fan of The Jam. It was a big moment for her when she went along to an event at the 100 Club in London in July 2026, where Bruce Foxton was a guest. Carolyn commented "It was good to see him so well - admittedly a little frail on his feet and his hearing is not great (which I suppose comes with all those years playing in a band) but he was in good humour and sharp as a tack. I get the impression from his answers to the audience that he doesn't suffer fools gladly, but he is nice with it. Anyway, I was thrilled to look him in the eyes, shake his hand and thank him for everything."
I dearly wish I could have been there too, but Carolyn's wonderful photos go a long way towards making up for it. The panel was chaired by Pat Gilbert. Other members (left to right) were Mark Brzezicki, Steve 'Tufty' Carver and Barry Cain.
Russell Cox dug deep in his box of memorabilia once again and added, "This a flier for Bruce's first solo tour. I met him after the Folkestone gig and he signed this. A genuinely nice bloke."
Not only did we have the pleasure of reading Kevin Webster's comical comments throughout the poll but this time his mum got involved too!
Kevin remembered "We're watching Top of The Pops and 'The Love Cats' comes on. Mom says "who on earth is this?" "The Cure Mom" without missing a beat she's back with "well I'd hate to see what the disease is!" She's still going strong at 91 too!"
Robert Smith might not have disagreed with her. In an interview with Rock and Folk magazine, he said: "'The Love Cats' is far from being my favourite song. Composed drunk, video filmed drunk, promotion made drunk. It was a joke."
Culture Club - Church of the Poison Mind
'Karma Chameleon' was ousted at the very start of the contest but 'Church of the Poison Mind' went much further. Many people expressed how it was their favourite Culture Club single, elevated by the powerful vocals of Helen Terry.
Stacey bought a tee shirt designed by Sue Clowes as part of her Roses collection. She purchased it from The Foundry in London and just happened to be served by a certain Mr O'Dowd, who was working in there as a window dresser at the time. Sue Clowes' striking designs helped to shape Boy George's identity at an early stage in his career, but I think Stacey looks much cooler.
Culture Club - Karma Chameleon
Something I decided against mentioning in my book is a review I included in issue four of 'Karma Chameleon'. It seems like here is a more fitting place to share it. To give you a little background, McCain (who back then sold frozen pizzas in the UK) ran a promotional campaign where they gave away transparent 5.5 inch single sided flexi-discs. One of these was an uncredited studio version of 'Karma Chameleon'.
You perhaps won't be surprised to know that even though the disc is listed on Discogs it has never once been sold on the platform!
Andy Roberts hails from Hull also and has memories of a completely different kind whenever he hears the song. "'Karma Chameleon' is forever associated with Hull City losing at Rotherham in the FA Cup! Karma, Karma, Karma, Karma, Karma, come on Hull, come on you Hull!
David Bowie - China Girl
Depeche Mode - Everything Counts
It was great to hear from someone who was in the audience when David Bowie played at the Milton Keynes Bowl on his Serious Moonlight tour.
@PaulPhillips44 shared a few memories of the gig.
"Getting sunburnt waiting in the Bowl - then Bowie coming on round about the golden hour, I think, with that peroxide hair. And how I was surprised by how he’d rearranged so much of his old material to sound more upbeat in keeping with the new stuff."
Richard Livingstone taught me something I didn't previously know about the song. It was first recorded and co-written by Iggy Pop. He said he prefers Iggy's version.
@harryhpalmer was disappointed when 'China Girl' was voted out. He said, "According to setlist, it is sixth in his most played songs live - 461 times. 'Modern Love' is 22nd - played 277 times. Bowie covered it, apparently, to help Iggy out financially."
Having done a little more digging I found out the song was first released by Iggy on The Idiot in 1977. The lyrics are a story of unrequited love and were inspired by an affair he had with a Vietnamese woman. When it was released as a single in 1977 it failed to chart.
Here's a link to Iggy's version. I really like the oriental feel of it. What do you think?
Russell Gray intrigued me when he said he bought China Girl/Modern Love on VHS video single. He said "It was a new fangled idea at the time. I bought it in WH Smith of all places. They had great music video section, better than HMV! A VCR was the first thing bought when I got married (on HP) even before a washing machine! Video EPs were a way of labels promoting artists, but the trouble was the cost compared to vinyl so it did not take off. My other half loved Bowie so I swallowed the extra expenditure."
Depeche Mode - Everything Counts
Steve shared the above photo and commented that 'Everything Counts' was the first Depeche Mode track mixed at Hansa in Berlin - a creative hub also famously used by Iggy Pop, U2 and David Bowie - who wrote 'Heroes' whilst working there.
The studio opened in 1973 at a time when Berlin was a divided city. It was referred to as “Big Hall by the Wall” due to its close proximity to The Berlin Wall.
Tipped by many to take the crown, and in my opinion one of E&TB's finest singles, this track finished at number five. I love the story Debs associates with it, which is in some ways quite apt.
"I did hairdressing when I left school and I’m not kidding I was dreadful! My friends used to sing this song to me I was so bad! To make matters worse my mother was a really good hairdresser and even taught at the local college. She was so embarrassed as I had the worst reputation! Every time I hear this song it reminds me!"
Elvis Costello - Everyday I Write the Book
Yet more amazing photos courtesy of @7Bigmouth7. They were taken when Elvis Costello played in Glasgow earlier this year.
Eurythmics - Sweet Dreams
@crumlinLeeds recalled how "1983 was the year I went to a gig at Phoenix Park in Dublin. The line up was U2, Big Country, Eurythmics, Simple Minds and Steel Pulse. It was a great day out. For some strange reason some punks in attendance gave Annie Lennox hell as she performed."
I came across a review written in real time on hotpress.com. The reviewer spoke about how "Annie Lennox seemed to throw a real temperamental wobbler - one plastic bottle and she angrily launched into a peace and love sermon. But when they settled down, thankfully the Eurythmics weren't one of those drab disappointments, bands who can't emulate their records on stage."
Although most people associate this song with 1984 it was in fact released in 1983, hence the reason for it being included in the poll. I did not realise how many versions there were until Aiden Tibbs started sharing some of his fine collection.
I found it particularly fascinating when he told me "There was a cassingle version of Relax that ran for 24 minutes. This was never released on vinyl until a recent Record Store Day. Never get rid of your cassette player, you never know when you might need it."
| A couple of UK promo discs |
INXS were one of the few Australian bands nominated in the poll. Vamprey SongADay made an interesting comment. "Gotta say that there are a lot of songs that I don't recognize being popular down here in Australia. And there are a lot of Australian artists that I haven't seen that were everywhere."
I asked him to enlighten us on which songs were popular "down under" back in 1983, which he kindly did. He said, "Australian music was compiled by David Kent as the Kent Music Report between May 1974 - January 1999. Re-branded as the Australian Music Report (AMR) in July 1987 and then as the Australian Recording Industry Association (ARIA) Charts from June 1988. Here is a list of every song to chart in Australia in 1983. Aussie artists are highlighted as purple in the list. (Much easier than me listing them all.)"
JoBoxers - Boxerbeat
Alun Bishop provided some background information. "First band I saw live, only they were Vic Goddard & the Subway Sect then, supporting Altered Images. Vic left and they went on to become JoBoxers."
Bassist Chris Bostock played on The Style Council's Cafe Bleu and Spear of Destiny's The Price You Pay. He has remained involved in the world of music since. In 2025 he was executive producer for the JoBoxers box set Just Got Lucky - The Complete Works 1983-1986, which featured a number of previously unreleased tracks.
Kajagoogoo - Too Shy
I'll be perfectly honest and admit I did not recognise the guy with long blonde hair in the above photos. It is in fact Kajagoogoo bassist Nick Beggs. The photos were posted by @markpat89782968, who said "I see Nick play with his daughters in The Beggs Sisters a lot. He is just a super nice guy as are his family. See him with Steven Wilson as well. He also plays a lot with Howard Jones. He’s very sought after nowadays."
I did however instantly recognise Nick, Limahl and co in @kodaqueen's photo (below). She said, "Kajagoogoo were the first band I really loved. Back then, though, I was 3 so getting to see them live was out of the question. Thankfully, they briefly reformed in 2009 and I got to make my childhood dream of seeing them live come true."
I love it when quirky little facts like this one from @MarkWitty3 surface during the polls. "The 12 inch of 'Destination Zululand' plays from the inside out and I think it doesn't have a closed groove, so the stylus just drops off the edge when the track ends."
The Lotus Eaters - The First Picture of You
It was the soundtrack of summer 1983 for so many of us of a certain age. It was never off the radio and it is a beautiful song. Mike Pearson said "Whenever I think of an 80’s peak summer, beach parties, getting off with a girl you’ve had your eye on, swimming in sea and being brown as a berry, 'First Picture of You' comes into my head. It really was one of the great 80’s classics."
@HaloFred182 shared an interesting story relating to the accompanying video. "Great song and a great video filmed in Walberswick, Suffolk. Fun fact, I stayed in the house in the video several years after the video was recorded. A friend's dad owned it and let my family use it for the weekend. I saw the video for the first time a few years back on YouTube and it was like going back in time."
And some people like @dbartley29 loved the summer vibe of the song so much they ended up having to buy it twice. "The first time I laid in the local park having just bought it. I fell asleep in the sunshine then woke up to find the record had warped in the heat so had to buy another copy."
@wantthe80s recalled seeing Peter Coyle supporting China Crisis at The Cluny in Byker. "He sang 'The First Picture Of You' acapella, and you could have heard a pin drop. Beautiful. It's an achingly beautiful song with an achingly beautiful vocal. Meeting him after his set, he was the nicest, most humble man you could hope to meet."
When I was putting together issue one of my fanzine, background music fluctuated between playing a favourite album and tuning into Radio One. The Lotus Eaters track is one I recall hearing again and again throughout the hours spent typing, cutting and pasting.
Malcolm MacLaren - Double Dutch
@PaisleyPowered had this to say. "Malcolm McLaren was visionary. 'Double Dutch' seamlessly merged traditional African rhythms with American hip-hop elements, including rapping and early sampling/scratching techniques provided by New York DJs, The World's Famous Supreme Team”.
I doubt African Mbaqanga group Boyoyo Boys were so complimentary about it though. They sued MacLaren for music plagiarism over the similarity of "Double Dutch" to their own 1975 hit 'Puleng'. The matter was eventually settled out of court, with payment made to the South African copyright holders.
MrKintheUK travelled back in time to the Balearic Islands when this song featured in the poll. He said, "Mary Jane Girls ALWAYS remind me of Mallorca ‘83, aged 14. 10pm, not ejected when junior disco switched to proper club. First all nighter. First holiday romance. First hangover. First holiday mate (RIP Rowly) Back to hotel room for breakie. Mum none the wiser. 'All Night Long' #MostPlayedVinyl"
Mary Jane Girls were formed by singer songwriter Rick James. He created specific, manufactured personas for each member. Jo Jo the street-wise girl, Candi the supermodel, Cheri the valley girl and Maxi the dominatrix. They sounded rather more raunchy than Scarey, Posh, Sporty, Baby and Ginger, but I wonder if that's where the idea came from.
Mike Oldfield - Moonlight Shadow
I can always rely on @carolynonX to come up with interesting little facts and she didn't let me down when she shared the following.
"I’m rooting for one of my nominations: Moonlight Shadow. There’s an extremely popular Greek version of this song, with different lyrics, by Stelios Rokkos, which means that the original has a bit of a cult following in Greece too."
Nena - 99 Luftballons
Mama J spoke about how the song reminded her of a close friend she had during that time period - Gina. She said, "A tough Italian chick from near my hometown, we met at work and were inseparable. Armed with fake ids we’d be at the local dance club at least two times a week and man, would we dance! We got up to a lot of shenanigans! I miss her."
New Order - Blue Monday
The worthy winner of the poll sparked a whole host of memories.
Brian F recalls hearing the sound check prior to a gig at the Ayr Pavilion in April 1983. Various sections of 'Blue Monday' could be heard from outside. Supporting New Order that night was influential Scottish group The Wake. Founding member Gerard "Caesar" McInulty was originally in Altered Images.
Someone who voted for 'Blue Monday' in the final was George. He gave the reason for giving it his vote as being "...for the effect it used to have at Youth Club Discos. Pool cues were put down and snogging stopped when this came on."
And talking of discos, Andy Herbert shared some fond memories of his days as a deejay. "Blue Monday 12 inch version was a dream for me DJing, time to go to the loo buy a drink and chat a girl up and still get back in time to cue the next record."
For Ska'd 4 Life memories returned of his old washing machine would you believe! He said, "When I put it on fast spin it sounded note for note like the intro of Blue Monday!"
When I read the comment it instantly reminded me of one memorable trip home on the late night bus. Two lads who were sat at the front started tapping out the recognisable drum intro sounds of 'Blue Monday'. This in turn led to the two lads sat next to them making all sorts of peculiar noises that vaguely resembled the opening synth sounds. Some people behind chimed in with "How does it feel to treat me like you do?" In seconds the whole of the top deck of the bus (me included) was singing 'Blue Monday'... to a fashion!
Paul Young - Wherever I Lay My Hat
@Paulh7874 has fond memories of Paul Young from when he was working at Harrods. "I met him once at the very height of his fame. I was working at Harrods and was stuck at the bottom of a staircase with a big delivery. He saw me on my own, grabbed the other end of the massive box and said "let's go". Lovely humble bloke."
Red Guitars (Undead Guitars) - Good Technology
It would be remiss of me not to give a mention to a band that was the talk of the town in Hull when I was writing my fanzine. Red Guitars were something special. Their live shows were a joy to witness. I was lucky enough to interview them just in time for issue two.
The lyrics to 'Good Technology' were written by a friend of the band - Stuart Ross -
who used to play bass with Wreckless Eric in the days when Eric was at art
college in Hull. Reading back over them now I wonder if he had a
crystal ball in front of him as he penned them! Lines like “We’ve got policemen
who can tell us who we are” and “We’ve got computers that can find us friends”
are surely more relevant in 2026 than they were in 1983.
It won't surprise you to know there is much more information about Red Guitars included in the pages of my book.
Mama J has a heartwarming story linked to this tune. "Baby Jane was a song I taped from the radio onto a compilation tape I made for my friend who was away at school in ‘83. For some reason it always stuck with me. I made one side Dreamy Songs and the other Rockin’ Songs. She still has it!"
Oh those mix tapes! I never mastered the art of cutting out the deejay's voice at the end of the track. And did we take any notice of warnings like the one below? How could we have managed without them?
@Middlesaxon2 goes back a long way with piano player - Adrian York. They went to primary school together in Kew.
Although Roman Holliday's career was relatively short, Adrian went on to work with some names you might just have heard of. Jimmy Ruffin, Mari Wilson, Sandie Shaw, Seal, Lisa Stansfield and Shirley Bassey to name a few.
He has also created jingles for various advertising campaigns, most notably the run of Kellogg's Crunchy Nut Cornflakes ads with the slogan "The trouble is, they taste too good."
Simple Minds - Waterfront
When I was preparing issue three of my fanzine I called in at Hull's legendary record store - Sydney Scarborough - and chatted to Andy (guitarist with Hull band Quel Dommage and the brains behind Xcentric Noise) who worked there, about which singles he thought might be worth reviewing. He suggested 'Waterfront'. I took a listen but wasn't sufficiently impressed to put pen to paper unfortunately. I guess it didn't fit with the type of music I was into at that time.
It's a shame I didn't ask @Fergwards to do the honours for me. It might have read something like this. "Waterfront is rolling thunder and sheets of rain. It flies and swoons and drives you forward. Likely in my top 10 or close to it."
Nick Young instantly remembered how Simple Minds opened with 'Waterfront' when he saw them play live in the 80s. Support was Irish rock band In Tua Nua. Nick said "It was around the time of Amnesty International. They had fliers and people made aeroplanes and threw them at them."
Kevin Webster recalled how "When Simple Minds toured the Sparkle in the Rain album they'd open with 'Waterfront' and it was that well received it became an opener for many concerts after. Hearing the intro just before they burst on stage was brilliant!
The Smiths - This Charming Man
![]() |
| Photo courtesy of Bazzy |
If I'd been a betting woman my money would have been on 'This Charming Man' winning the contest. As it turned out, it was the runner up.
Bringing things right up to date, these incredible photos of Morrissey and Johnny Marr were taken by @7Bigmouth7
There will be much more about The Smiths in my book.
Spandau Ballet - True
Another cracking little story courtesy of Kevin Webster involving his 91 year old mum. "My mom told us she liked the song "the sound of muscle" Well it got us kids stumped until it came on the radio. Spandau's song 'True'. Lyrics "the sound of my soul" Oh gord!"
An easy mistake to make... Perhaps she was getting it muddled with ‘Muscle Bound’.
Spear of Destiny - Flying Scotsman
Seeing this Spear of Destiny tune in the poll triggered some great memories for Steve Oxlee. He recalled how he first heard 'The Flying Scotsman' live at a gig in Aston Uni, May, 1986. He went on to say "Kirk Brandon's vocal was so distinct, sweepingly emotive and it really struck a cord (excuse the pun) with me. The song also mirrored the audience that night, who were unexpectedly tight-knit, yet welcoming. Decades later, and re-listening to 'The Flying Scotsman', i can close my eyes and feel the heavy basslines and driving drums that perfectly matched the locomotive imagery of the song that night."
When I read Mike Burton's comment saying he was a roadie for Spear of Destiny when they played Manchester University in Oct 1984, I was keen to know more. Mike told me, "I was more of a "humper" to be honest, moving the cases and equipment in and out of the students union. Did it for a few bands that year, including Sisters of Mercy. Think we got paid £10 for the afternoon and evening, a couple of places on the guest list and a very late night curry/beers."
The Style Council - Money Go Round
For me 1983 was the year I spent mourning the loss of The Jam. I've grown to appreciate The Style Council's music as the years have passed but it took a long time. Friends would record their albums and force them on me in an attempt to prove there was life after The Jam - to no avail. However, I did buy just one of their singles in real time and that was 'Money Go Round'.
I was really pleased when Russell Cox shared those razor sharp cutting lyrics.
Whenever I think of this song I think of the review my late dad wrote for issue four of Kindred Spirit of Everything But the Girl's 'Eden'. Although it's not the single version of 'Paris Match', I thought Tracey Thorne's vocals elevated the song to a different level. There is much more about my dad's review and interesting background info included in my book.
Who remembers seeing this front cover of Melody Maker? Thanks again to Russell Cox for sharing.
Bringing things right up to date, Sue Broome caught Paul Weller at Exhibition Park, Newcastle and took these fantastic photos.
I found an interesting article, originally posted in October 1995 in American magazine Satya. As with many of the anarcho-punk bands and fanzines of the early 80s, it focussed on vegetarianism, animal rights, and social justice.
In the article there is a little history about how it was European anarchist punk bands who introduced lyrics revolving around vegetarianism and animal rights into their music. The author went on to cite The Subhumans’ ‘Evolution’ as an example by quoting some of the lyrics. “Out in the garden there is a little white cat/And you're catching cancer as you smoke that fag/"When will they find the cure?" you choke/When enough cats have died of smoke?/And they say that animals go for the throat."
It brought back memories of seeing the band's name and music covered in various different fanzines back in 1983.
@MarkWitty3 was a big fan of The Subhumans. He said, "Here's a pic from summer 1983, me onstage with Dick (Lucas) singing along with 'Animal'. Still got the cut off leather in the pic, I painted the first album cover on the back and Dick signed it."
This Mortal Coil - Song to the Siren
Here's an example of a song I'd forgotten about prior to the polls starting. It was one a friend recorded for me on one of the aforementioned mix tapes we all used to put together for each other. It is hauntingly beautiful.
What I didn't realise is it was a cover version. Strawberry Switchblade Fan Site provided some interesting background information.
"Bizarrely, the first released version of 'Song To The Siren' was by Pat Boone, complete with pirate impressions and sea sound effects. This Mortal Coil was a kind of 4AD all-stars project of covers. The original was by Tim Buckley in 1970 but it's one of those songs like 'Wild Horses' and 'Don't Let The Sun Catch You Crying' where a cover came out first so the writer's original version is technically a cover. Buckley did this beautiful solo version on the final episode of The Monkees TV show in March 1968, nearly 3 years before the studio version was released."
I don't think I was alone in expecting this intriguing track to go much further than it did. Written by Tom Robinson when he was living in Hamburg at a low point in his career, the lyrics to 'War Baby' conjure up many images.
Tom arrived back at the flat where he was staying one night. He wrote the words "only the very young and the very beautiful can be so aloof." on a sheet of paper. From that point the words started pouring out on to the page. He filled around ten sheets of paper. It took him a good few months to condense what he'd written into a four minute song, but to quote Tom "It came from a very, very deep place within me. I think it’s the most truthful song that I’ve written, because I didn’t think about it at all. The great artists are able to connect with a very deep part of themselves spontaneously, and I think that’s the closest I ever came to doing it.”
@harryhpalmer saw Tom on the tour promoting his Hope and Glory album. He provided more background information about 'War Baby'. "Tom had been made bankrupt so moved to Germany where he wrote the song - one he is most proud of writing. He then came back to the UK to record and release it on his own label as he couldn't get a record deal. That turned out to be a blessing, financially, when it was a big hit."
Babs recalled how she and her friends used to take it in turns to put 'War Baby' on the jukebox in their local pub. This immediately brought to mind a personal memory from my fanzine writing days.
In issue four we interviewed a young local band called Vudu Kikx. I described them as “a cross between Play Dead and Sex Gang Children” (despite them trying to convince me they were heavily influenced by Cyndi Lauper!) The interview took place in a pub in Hull's old town. When I later played back the recording, I realised somebody had put 'War Baby' on repeat on the pub jukebox. It was playing continuously throughout to the point where I struggled to focus on the content of the interview.
@EnglishProse has memories of a very different kind linked to the song. "A raw, powerful & beautiful song. It reminds me of when I was forced to attend a week-long army cadets training camp though my school. I remember being thrown out of bed at 5.30AM, sweltering in the uniform by day, & wading through rivers at night. War Baby captured my torment."
UB40 - Red Red Wine
I've always had a soft spot for UB40. I take on board the comments a lot of people made throughout the poll about them becoming a covers band but I don't entirely agree. Their early stuff was in another stratosphere! And interspersed between the Labour of Love albums, I thought they produced some pretty original stuff.
I remember going to see UB40 in Leeds in 1984. Before they appeared on stage the audience watched a 30 minute promotional film for Labour of Love. Whenever I hear 'Red Red Wine' I always think about Ali Campbell playing the part of a depressed man drowning his sorrows in a pub over a girl. Ironically though, in the film he was drinking pints of beer not red red wine!
@harryhpalmer provided yet more interesting facts about the song. "Written and released by Neil Diamond in 1967 it didn't dent the US Charts (No.67). But UB40's number one version, was actually based on Tony Tribe's version, released in 1969, which reached just 46 in UK charts. UB40's version was not a big hit in the US in 1983. It went to number one there five years later."
Van Halen - Jump
Sal remembered getting through on a Radio One phone in competition with Janice Long. She told me, "Sadly I didn't get my question right, but I got to request a song and I asked for this! I still love it. Incidentally the question was, which pop star's mum used to clean for Paul McCartney? The answer was Adam Ant."
Kevin Webster has memories of a different kind altogether. "The only Van Halen I know is when Marty McFly used some of Eddie's guitar on his Walkman to convince his future Dad he was an alien from another planet in Back To The Future. It worked anyway."
Here's a rundown of all 252 songs. I hope you've enjoyed reading. For updates about my book, links to all Kindred Spirit's social media pages can be found at the foot of the page.


.png)
Email: kindredspiritfanzine@gmail.com
- New Order – Blue Monday
- The Smiths – This Charming Man
- Big Country – In a Big Country
- Funboy Three – Our Lips Are Sealed
- Echo & the Bunnymen – The Cutter
- Frankie Goes to Hollywood – Relax
- Grandmaster Flash & Melle Mel
- U2 – Sunday Bloody Sunday
- David Bowie – Let’s Dance
- The Style Council – Speak Like a Child
- Orange Juice – Rip it Up
- Big Country – Fields of Fire
- Heaven 17 – Temptation
- The Style Council – Long Hot Summer
- Simple Minds – Waterfront
- Talking Heads – Burning Down the House
- The Alarm – Sixty Eight Guns
- Siouxsie & the Banshees – Dear Prudence
- David Bowie – Modern Love
- Depeche Mode – Everything Counts
- The Smiths – Hand in Glove
- Wham! – Club Tropicana
- The Cure – The Love Cats
- Big Country – Chance
- PIL – This is Not a Love Song
- U2 – New Year’s Day
- Tears for Fears – Pale Shelter
- The Style Council – A Solid Bond in Your Heart
- The Lotus Eaters – The First Picture of You
- Bonnie Tyler – Total Eclipse of the Heart
- Funboy Three – The Tunnel of Love
- Elvis Costello – Everyday I Write the Book
- Eddy Grant – Electric Avenue
- Tears for Fears – Change
- Thompson Twins – Hold Me Now
- The The – This is the Day
- Echo & the Bunnymen – Never Stop
- The Beat – Can’t Get Used to Losing You
- Nena – 99 Luftballons
- Mike Oldfield – Moonlight Shadow
- Madness – The Sun and the Rain
- Heaven 17 – Crushed by the Wheels of Industry
- The Style Council – Money Go Round
- Human League – (Keep Feeling) Fascination
- Aztec Camera – Oblivious
- Altered Images – Don’t Talk to Me About Love
- Malcolm McLaren – Double Dutch
- David Bowie – China Girl
- UB40 – Many Rivers to Cross
- Spandau Ballet – True
- Van Halen – Jump
- The The – Perfect
- The Sisters of Mercy – Temple of Love
- Nick Heyward – Whistle Down the Wind
- ABC - That Was Then but This is Now
- The Kinks – Don’t Forget to Dance
- Yazoo – Nobody’s Diary
- Bananarama – Cruel Summer
- Madness – Tomorrow’s Just Another Day
- Eurythmics – Sweet Dreams
- Slade – My Oh My
- Michael Jackson – Billie Jean
- Yes – Owner of a Lonely Heart
- Lionel Richie - All Night Long (All Night)
- Stiff Little Fingers – The Price of Admission
- The Pretenders – 2000 Miles
- China Crisis – Christian
- Kajagoogoo – Too Shy
- Elton John – I’m Still Standing
- The Bluebells – Cath
- Joan Armatrading – Drop the Pilot
- Killing Joke - Let’s All Go (To the Fire Dances)
- This Mortal Coil – Song to the Siren
- Howard Jones – What is Love?
- Wang Chung – Dance Hall Days
- Paul Young – Love of the Common People
- Iron Maiden – Trooper
- Aztec Camera – Walk Out to Winter
- The B52s - Songs for a Future Generation
- Redskins – Lean on Me
- The Assembly – Never Never
- Bruce Foxton – Freak
- The Cure – The Walk
- Soft Cell – Soul Inside
- Elton John – I Guess That’s Why They Call it the Blues
- Pat Benatar – Love is a Battlefield
- Howard Jones – New Song
- Fiction Factory – Feels Like Heaven
- Freeez – I.O.U.
- Eurythmics – Who’s That Girl
- Kraftwerk – Tour de France
- Bob Marley & the Wailers – Buffalo Soldier
- The Creatures – Miss the Girl
- The Chameleons – Up the Down Escalator
- The Fall – The Man Whose Head Expanded
- OMD – Telegraph
- Level 42 – The Sun Goes Down (Living it Up)
- JoBoxers – Boxer Beat
- Cyndi Lauper – Girls Just Want to Have Fun
- Duran Duran – Is There Something I Should Know?
- Heaven 17 – Come Live With Me
- The Style Council – The Paris Match
- Rufus/Chaka Khan – Ain’t Nobody
- Rose of Victory – Suffragette City
- Michael Jackson – Beat It
- Men at Work – Overkill
- Culture Club – Church of the Poison Mind
- Quiet Riot – Cum on Feel the Noize
- Matthew Wilder – Break My Stride
- Cabaret Voltaire – Just Fascination
- China Crisis - Wishful Thinking
- Prince – Little Red Corvette
- JoBoxers – Just Got Lucky
- Ultravox – We Came to Dance
- The Police – Wrapped Around Your Finger
- Blancmange – Waves
- Bauhaus - Lagartija Nick
- Metallica – Whiplash
- The Adicts – Bad Boy
- Kissing the Pink – The Last Film
- The Undertones – Got to Have You Back
- Black Uhuru – What is Life?
- Cocteau Twins – Sugar Hiccup
- Spear of Destiny – The Wheel
- UK Subs – Another Typical City
- Bryan Adams – Cuts Like a Knife
- Talking Heads - This Must Be the Place (Naïve Melody)
- Tom Robinson – War Baby
- Paul Young – Wherever I Lay My Hat (That’s My Home)
- ZZ Top – Gimme All Your Lovin’
- Duran Duran – Union of the Snake
- The Flying Pickets – Only You
- The Undertones – Chain of Love
- The Replacements – Color Me Impressed
- Madonna – Holiday
- The Imposter (Elvis Costello) – Pills and Soap
- The Monochrome Set – The Jet Set Junta
- H20 – I Dream to Sleep
- The Stranglers – European Female
- Altered Images – Bring Me Closer
- The Alarm – The Stand
- Snowy White – Bird of Paradise
- The Icicle Works - Birds Fly (Whisper to a Scream)
- Violent Femmes – Gone Daddy Gone
- Spear of Destiny – Flying Scotsman
- Billy Joel – Goodnight Saigon
- Grace Jones – My Jamaican Guy
- Crass - Sheep Farming in the Falklands
- Def Leppard – Photograph
- Carmel – Bad Day
- King Kurt – Destination Zululand
- Julian Cope – Sunshine Playroom
- INXS – Black and White
- OMD – Genetic Engineering
- Dio – Holy Diver
- X – The New World
- The Beat – Ackee 1-2-3
- GBH – Catch 23
- Fleetwood Mac – Can’t Go Back
- The Go-Betweens – Cattle and Cane
- X Mal Deutschland – Qual
- Anthrax – Capitalism is Cannibalism
- Howard Devoto – Rainy Season
- Cocteau Twins – From the Flagstones
- Oingo Boingo – Nothing Bad Ever Happens
- The Exploited – Rival Leaders
- Taco – Putting on the Ritz
- Janie Jones & the Lash - House of the Ju-Ju Queen
- The Icicle Works – Love is a Wonderful Colour
- The Fall – Kicker Conspiracy
- Thompson Twins – Love on Your Side
- The Police – Synchronicity II
- Strawberry Switchblade – Trees and Flowers
- The SOS Band – Just Be Good to Me
- The Police – Every Breath You Take
- Spandau Ballet – Gold
- Nick Heyward – Take That Situation
- Culture Club – Karma Chameleon
- New Order – Confusion
- Prince – Delirious
- Tracey Ullman – They Don’t Know
- The Creatures – Right Now
- The Teardrop Explodes – You Disappear From View
- Bauhaus – She’s in Parties
- Madness – Wings of a Dove
- Marillion – Garden Party
- Bow Wow Wow – Do You Wanna Hold Me?
- UB40 – Red Red Wine
- Rod Stewart – Baby Jane
- Thompson Twins – We Are Detective
- Ozzy Osbourne – Bark at the Moon
- Ultravox – Visions in Blue
- The Angels – Eat City
- ZZ Top – Sharp Dressed Man
- Herbie Hancock – Rockit
- Subhumans – Evolution
- The Bananamen – The Crusher
- Billy Joel – Uptown Girl
- The Birthday Party – Mutiny!
- Genesis – Mama
- Red Guitars – Good Technology
- Eurythmics – Right By Your Side
- Freur – Doot Doot
- Michael Jackson – Thriller
- Michael Jackson – Wanna Be Startin’ Somethin’
- Ryan Paris – Dolce Vita
- Men at Work – It’s a Mistake
- X Mal Deutschland – Incubus Succubus II
- Roman Holliday – Don’t Try to Stop It
- Robert Plant – Big Log
- Cabaret Voltaire – Yashar
- Matt Fretton – It’s So High
- Mtume – Juice Fruits
- The Glove – Punish Me With Kisses
- U2 – Two Hearts Beat as One
- Icon AD – Say No
- The Chameleons – As High As You Can Go
- Mötley Crüe – Shout at the Devil
- Yello – I Love You
- The Adicts – How Sad (Qué Triste)
- Toy Dolls – Alfie From the Bronx
- Vice Squad – Black Sheep
- Play Dead – Shine
- Chris & Cosey – October (Love Song)
- Dennis Waterman/George Cole – What Are We
- The Glove – Like an Animal
- The Fixx – One Thing Leads to Another
- Sex Gang Children – Sebastiane
- Iron Maiden – Flight of Icarus
- Peter & the Test Tube Babies – Zombie Creeping Flesh
- Mary Jane Girls – All Night Long
- Nick Heyward – On a Sunday
- Dolly Mixture – Remember This
- The Blood – Megalomania
- The Romantics – Rock it Up
- The Chameleons – A Person Isn’t Safe Anywhere These Days
- Sex Gang Children – Mauritia Mayer
- Ministry – Revenge (You Did it Again)
- Marine Girls – Don’t Come Back
- The Romantics – Talking in Your Sleep
- Violent Femmes – Ugly
- The Isley Brothers – Between the Sheets
- Yello – Lost Again
- Blitz – Telecommunication
- Redgum – I Was Only 19
- Alien Sex Fiend – Ignore the Machine
- Mari Wilson – Wonderful
- Journey – Faithfully
- New Edition – Candy Girl
- Section 25 – Back to Wonder
- Rick James – Cold Blooded
- Alain Souchon – On Avance
<><><>


.png)
Email: kindredspiritfanzine@gmail.com




















I remember watching the video for Thriller in a 14-18 disco when I would of been 17. We were all standing around to watch. It was amazing like a mini movie. Fantastic song too, and still love watching it today.
ReplyDeleteHi, Jill. Don’t know if I already shared this, hopefully I’m not repeating myself! When I think of 1983, I think first of Synchronicity, the album by The Police. They were my favorite band (along with/The Clash,) and the day the album was released I made my way to Crazy Eddie’s, our local record shop, to buy it. I’d be anxiously awaiting release day! There were dozens available at the shop, in that now famous primary color pattern of red, blue & yellow, but I noticed one on display right away that was different. It was gold, silver, and bronze and there was only one of its kind. I decided right away to buy the unique one. Of course in 1983 it wasn’t possible to hop on the internet to get more information on a rare edition of an album, so when I got home I used the available method of calling directory assistance to get the number of A&M Records. I eventually spoke to someone there who informed me that it was a limited pressing of that album cover, but they weren’t sure of the number. In any event, I was thrilled to have a special copy of what would become a very beloved album in my collection. A few months later I was fortunate enough to be able to go to Shea Stadium to see The Police perform most of the album at a historic concert. It was there & then that Sting decided the band had reached their pinnacle & he would later announce that it was to be their final tour. I saw them once more on that Synchronicity tour at a smaller venue, & thankfully I was able to see them 6 times on their reunion tour in 2007-08. I also had a chance to meet Andy Summers on his book tour not long after The Police broke up, and when I asked him to sign my copy of Synchronicity he was impressed and said “I don’t even have a copy of that one!” At one point I was in a very precarious financial situation & tried to sell my autographed album, but was unable to get Andy’s signature verified, so it was not a worthwhile option. I am so extremely thankful that I didn’t sell it as it really does bring me great joy to own it. Unfortunately at the moment it is located in a storage unit or I’d share a photo.
ReplyDelete1983 was the year of Big Country’s debut album “The Crossing”. I’d grown up as a punk and had devoted myself to Sham 69, Cockney Rejects, Angelic Upstarts, The Ruts, Blitz, Partisans, Anti Pasti. On hearing The Crossing though, I was transported to a new world. I was moved by this masterpiece of an album, this work of pure art - every track was 10/10. I was walking into the local village one sunny day in that summer when I heard Big Country playing through an open window of a bungalow on the route I was taking. I stopped, sat down on a grass verge and listened to the whole album with whoever in that bungalow was playing it. They never knew I was stealing a listen! In my Top 5 albums of all time. ❤️
ReplyDelete