Skip to main content

The Exploited

The Exploited interview in Kindred Spirit issue fourIssue four of Kindred Spirit featured an interview with legendary hardcore punk band The Exploited, and of all the interviews we did this one was the most surprising. I'll expand on that a little later, but first here is some background about The Exploited.

The band formed in Edinburgh in 1980 and is still going strong today.  In researching this feature my first port of call was the band's official website. There is an entire page dedicated to outlining the history of The Exploited. The author sums up far better than I could what the band has always stood for from the outset to the present day. 
Wattie Buchan of The Exploited on stage circa 1984
The band also has a very active Facebook page with over a quarter of a million followers. 

Over the years there has been a number of line up changes. However the one constant throughout the band's entire career is vocalist, founder member and ex-squaddie Wattie Buchan.

Original guitarist Big John Duncan, who had not long since left The Exploited when we interviewed them went on to become a guitar tech for the legendary Nirvana. This subsequently led to him playing guitar live on stage with the band at the New York Roseland Ballroom in July 1993. I found a fascinating Brazilian website with more information about Big John's association with Nirvana. It is well worth taking the time to translate. 

Kurt Cobain and Big John Duncan formerly of The Exploited


My first memories of The Exploited date back to 1981 when I read a feature in Sounds by Garry Bushell singing the praises of the rapidly emerging new breed of punk bands.

A front cover from Sounds in 1981 featuring The Exploited

Other names that spring to mind from the same era are Discharge, Chron Gen, Anti Nowhere League, Anti Pasti, Vice Squad and GBH. These are only my recollections, not a comprehensive list. 

The entire genre later became referred to as UK82, named after a song by The Exploited. I found a really interesting article on the Louder than Sound site which provides much more detail.

After reading Garry Bushell's highly complimentary piece I was fascinated to find out more, so decided to give The Exploited's debut album 'Punk's Not Dead' a spin.


Punks Not Dead by The Exploited on coloured vinyl


I have to be perfectly honest and say that to me the sounds created by the second wave of punk bands did not bear much resemblance to the first wave. This was a view I shared on more than one occasion in the pages of my fanzines. At the time we interviewed The Exploited there was a certain amount of scepticism about whether or not the new breed of punk would turn out to be nothing more than a passing fad. 

The Exploited live on stage in 1983What I can say 36 years later is the energy and raw feel of the music that emerged from those times has most certainly withstood the test of time. A number of the original bands are still touring to this day and have had a massive influence on other younger bands over the last four decades.

All fanzine creators know the true meaning of the expression cut and paste. Below are three images I chopped up and used in the original fanzine article about The Exploited. 
  • The first was a press clipping I came across announcing The Exploited's new line-up shortly before the gig. 
  • The second was an advert for a punk extravaganza in December 1983 at Leeds Queens Hall. Check the ticket price! 
  • The third was the image of a baby wearing the famous Sid Vicious tee shirt on the cover of Punk's Not Dead. 
  • I'm not quite sure where I found the fourth clipping but it seemed like a good fit at the time!



We interviewed The Exploited early in 1984 after a one off gig at Hull's Spring Street Theatre. Anarcho-punks The Varukers were supporting.

I don't mind admitting to feeling slightly jittery about the idea of doing an interview with the band beforehand. After a foundation rattling show my ears were ringing. Every single shouted lyric, guitar chord and drum beat had the word aggression written all over it. The words of the horror stories I'd read of how - shall we say - uncooperative the band could be were at the forefront of my mind. 

I almost bottled out but I'm really glad I didn't now.

On requesting an interview I remember the first question Wattie asked me was, "Which paper are you from?" As soon as I told him we were a local fanzine he smiled and said, "Oh that's okay then. Of course we'll do an interview." 

We were immediately invited backstage and I can honestly say the band could not have been more obliging. Wattie even went as far as to give me his
address so I could send him a copy of the fanzine. It turned out to be another high spot of my fanzine writing days.

When we interviewed The Exploited the line up was as follows:

Photo featuring the early 1984 line up of The Exploited
Wattie Buchan (vocals), Willie Buchan (drums), Karl Morris (guitar) and Billy Dunn (bass).

Here is the interview...

Before seeing The Exploited play live I would have been the first person to criticise them for "what they did" to Punk.

Their music never has and never will bear any resemblance to any of the sounds which made '76/'77 such an exciting time musically. And with titles such as 'F**k the Mods' and 'Sex and Violence' for moral support, anyone with half a brain would be forgiven for choosing to ignore their lyrics also.

The Exploited "On Stage" LP on yellow vinyl.

But whilst watching a typical performance by The Exploited recently, or more to the point watching a typical audience of The Exploited, I realised the main concern of the majority of their fans is not to appreciate, or to go home pondering over a handful of meaningful songs. The main concern is quite simply to release pent-up aggression, beat the hell out of something and to go home grinning at the end of it! The fact that The Exploited couldn't play anything vaguely tuneful if they tried is totally irrelevant! They don't need to.

So, feeling practically speechless and partially deaf, we trotted backstage to find Wattie stood in one corner pouring himself a glass of fresh orange juice (!). Karl, Willie and Rat (from the Varukers) were talking to a group of fans in another corner and Billy was wandering around somewhere in the middle.

And seeing as this particular gig had been a one-off we inevitably began by asking why they had chosen Hull as the venue.

Wattie: The last time we played Hull was two years ago. We'll play anywhere except for Ireland.

Why not Ireland?

Wattie: We do a song called 'Blown to Bits' which is slagging Bobby Sands. I'm a Catholic, but I hate the I.R.A. We were offered £1000 to play a gig in Armagh once but we wouldn't do it. We've played there once before but never again.

Why is it that your line-up has changed so much over the last couple of years?

Wattie: I don't know. We never really want to have to change unless it's for the better. Having said that John was a great guitarist. He could have played in any band.

How long has this line-up been together?

Wattie: Four or five months. We've only done about five or six gigs with this line-up.

Which record company are you with at the moment?

Pax. Our last record company tried to make us really commercial. We don't mind making money but we're really in it for a good time. We've no directions. We do it 'cause we enjoy it.

What do you think of the current punk scene?

Wattie: Pretty shit. I like the UK Subs and Urban Dogs but most of them are too political.

Have you got a message to pass on?

Wattie: Anarchy and chaos. We're definitely a working class band. Our songs are about every day life.

We then wandered across to Willie, Karl and Rat, Karl being the only English member of the band and therefore easiest to understand (joke!)

Karl: You're not from one of those hippy vegetarian rags are you?

Jill: No. We're more into preserving the dandelion.

Willie: I'm a vegetarian! (Whoops!)

Are there many up and coming bands in Scotland who are worth watching out for?

Willie: No. Most of them are the same. You don't get that many bands who are worth listening to. The trouble is there aren't any decent venues in Scotland. There's no scope for new bands.

Did you notice some of the audience fighting amongst themselves tonight?

Willie: The lights are so bright that you can't see anything apart from the front few rows.

Karl: I haven't noticed any violence at the gigs I've done so far with this band, but you sometimes get about six or seven people who come to a gig just to do somebody over. Personally I think fighting is pathetic! Will you please print that?

Do you agree that a lot of the individuality has disappeared amongst punk followers now? This was what punk was originally all about.

Karl: Our audience are individuals in their own right. I know a lot of them look the same, a lot of them look exactly the same as us but when you think about it, there is only one thing which makes us any different to them and that's the fact that we get up on a stage and play.

What do you think punk should be all about?

Karl: It's all about putting your own ideas forward and enjoying yourself, not like Crass.

Willie: So many bands try too hard to create some sort of image, like Bauhaus. They try to be mysterious.
Punk's Not Dead a one off magazine edited by  Garry Bushell


Do you think of Oi as a separate movement to Punk?

Karl: Not at all. Everyone tried to make out that it was something totally different, when really it was just a word that Garry Bushell created.

What is your opinion of Garry Bushell?

Karl: He's just a fashion follower. He did a lot of good for punk at the beginning but he's into heavy metal and Big Country now.

What about the charts?

Karl: Shit!

Rat: It's all fixed.

Do you think Dead Cities was hyped?

Wattie: No. Punk was a lot stronger then than it is now. I don't think we'll ever get into the charts again.


What better way to round off this trip down memory lane than with some more Exploited related memorabilia and vinyl? 

At this point I would like to say a massive thank you to two of my Twitter friends - vinyl collector extraordinaire Pete for providing all the photos of Exploited discs included in this post, and Norman for the tour posters and rare photo below.



The Massacre by The Exploited on orange vinyl
The Massacre on orange vinyl
Race Against Time by The Exploited on blue vinyl
Race Against Time on blue vinyl
Let's Start A War by The Exploited on red vinyl
Let's Start A War on red vinyl
On Stage by The Exploited on clear vinyl
On Stage on clear vinyl
This poster was for a 1981 extravaganza featuring some of the second wave of punk bands who were headline news at that time.
Another earth shaker of a gig from late 1981
The Exploited and The Defects
The Exploited with The Defects
Thank you for reading and I hope you will stay tuned for more of the same. If you want to ride the musical nostalgia train with me on a more regular basis, I can be found on Twitter on an almost daily basis sharing little nuggets from the past.


                


If you have enjoyed reading this post please tap one of the share buttons below to help spread the word. Many thanks!




  


Comments

  1. This is a great blog, Jill. It brings back so many happy memories of my misspent youth! Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many thanks Neil, much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Jam Online Scrapbook Six

Welcome to the sixth online scrapbook about The Jam.  When I put together scrapbook number one early in 2021 I genuinely did not think it would take on such a life of its own! I can’t believe how much memorabilia there is out there and how many interesting stories there are to tell. There are some fantastic pieces included in this post. I hope you will enjoy.  The first item is something incredibly special. In fact, it is so special I would even go so far as to say I feel privileged to be able to include it. When I ran a Twitter poll a while ago to find out what people’s favourite Sound Affects track was, the outright winner was a song considered by many to be the finest song lyrically Paul Weller has written in his entire career. I am of course referring to That’s Entertainment. Even people who aren’t too familiar with The Jam know this song. It is a poetic masterpiece. A montage of images… a snapshot of 80s Britain. The story of how Paul wrote That’s Entertainment in ten minutes afte

Paul Weller, The Jam and Riot Stories

It is a known fact among people close to me and those who follow me on Twitter that I am a lifelong fan of The Jam/Paul Weller. I have enjoyed listening to many bands and artists over the years but in my opinion there are few songwriters who have the ability to speak to their listeners through their lyrics the way Paul Weller does. He is a poet and a songwriter in a class of his own. He was also the inspiration for me starting a fanzine back in 1983, although the seeds of the idea started germinating quite a few years earlier. Originally I planned to simply tell the story of how Paul came to be the driving force behind me starting Kindred Spirit, but things took on a life of their own when I had the good fortune to make a connection on Twitter with Steve Hinders, from the USA . I was absolutely mesmerised by some of the photos and stories Steve shared on Twitter of his time spent touring with The Jam. It was however when he told me he’d had an article published in Paul Weller’s own

The Jam Scrapbook Part One

My November 2020 post about Paul Weller, The Jam and Riot Stories was an incredibly special one for both Steve Hinders and me. As a result of us sharing our stories via this blog and on Twitter we were lucky enough to connect with yet more fellow fans. It wasn't long before a string of amazing Jam-related stories and snippets of memorabilia started landing in my inbox and it became clear a follow up post was called for. In fact to do justice to the treasure trove of information people have been kind enough to share with me I’ve decided to spread the goods over three posts. So here goes… To kick off we’re rewinding the clocks right back to the early days of The Jam for instalment number one of “The Jam Scrapbook”. Enjoy! EARLY DAYS Prior to The Jam having the line-up we all knew and loved they underwent a series of personnel changes. Back in 1973 the line up was Paul Weller on bass, Rick Buckler on drums and Steve Brookes on rhythm/lead guitar.  One of my favourite tracks on ‘In Th