Skip to main content

From The Jam Scarborough Spa October 2022

The last time I saw The Jam was at Bridlington Spa in December 1982. The band were only days away from playing their last ever gig in Brighton. 

As I’m sure is the case with many others fans who witnessed the Beat Surrender tour, my memories of that night are bittersweet. On the one hand it was a celebration of how much The Jam had spoken to us through their music and touched our lives. On the other, it was as if we were saying goodbye to a close friend much sooner than we wanted to. The unmistakable air of sadness was as present in the air as the clouds of smoke on the stage. 


From The Jam live in Scarborough


Fast forward (almost) 40 years to October 30th 2022 at the Scarborough Spa. This was my first time of seeing From The Jam live. Believe it or not, the show was originally scheduled to take place in January 2020. Due to COVID restrictions, freak weather conditions and band members falling ill it had to be postponed multiple times.

 


It was worth the wait.


Support came in the form of Squire, who I have to be honest and admit I know very little about other than their name. They played a set of well received energy packed tunes. Their sound has a melodic 60s vibe combined with with more than a dash of power pop. 


They formed at the very start of the Mod revival. They supported The Jam at Guildford Civic Hall in 1978. I’m not quite sure how I missed them first time around, but I shall definitely be finding out more about them now.


Squire on stage in Scarborough

Then From The Jam took to the stage. The years melted away as soon as they broke into the opening chords of ‘Away From The Numbers’. 


Nobody could ever replace Paul Weller but Russell Hastings’ passionate delivery generates the same kind of electricity. He chatted a little between tunes and suddenly it felt more like being at an informal gathering than a gig. He even managed to get the audience to improvise when a guitar string broke halfway through the set. 


An evenly balanced mix of favourites followed. Pretty Green, Mr Clean, To Be Someone, In The City, That’s Entertainment, Strange Town, Town Called Malice… one classic after another delivered with all the fire and skill we know and love so well. 


Sandwiched nicely in the middle of the wave of nostalgia we were treated to Russell and Bruce’s new single - Lula. It’s already riding high in the charts at the time of writing. With this track they have definitely moved away from any obvious comparisons to The Jam. Powerful, catchy and a little melancholy too. The audience gave it a solid thumbs up.


The crowd lapped it up when Bruce took over the vocals for David Watts. In fact there was so much love circulating in the room for Bruce Foxton you could feel the warmth. The man is a living legend after all!


A special mention must be given to keyboard player Andy Fairclough and drummer Mike Randon both of who did a sterling job. Mike’s drumming intro on It’s Too Bad triggered distant echoes of Rick Buckler’s epic intro on Dig The New Breed. 



After a blistering set all four members of the band left the stage but they were saving the best until last. The audience were on the cusp of becoming impatient when they reappeared and delivered the goods in style. 


The Eton Rifles was nothing short of an explosion both on stage and in the crowd. Arms were waving, guitars and drums were crashing. This song may have recently celebrated its 43rd birthday but it is still relevant. It will never lose its fire.


Bruce’s instantly identifiable bass sound heralded the haunting intro to a song which needs no introductions. Paul Weller may have only been 20 years old when he wrote Down In The Tube Station At Midnight but in my opinion it’s one of the finest songs he’s ever penned. There were points in the song when the audience took over with the singing. It was yet another foundation rattling rendition.


Going Underground was the grand finale. I think that’s when I realised that yes - I’d been singing at the top of my voice for the last hour and a half and yes - I’d finally lost my voice!


Paul Weller and The Jam were the inspiration behind me starting a fanzine in July 1983, as documented in this blog post from November 2020. However I always felt the one thing missing was not being able to include a review of The Jam in real time in the pages of Kindred Spirit. Thank you Bruce, Russell, Andy and Mike for a thoroughly enjoyable performance and for helping me to bridge that gap. 



Website - https://www.fromthejamofficial.com/

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/FromTheJam


Twitter - https://Twitter.com/fromthejam1


Thank you as always for reading. If you would like to join me on Twitter here are the links.

Kindred Spirit Fanzine    Jill Webb Words

And if you have enjoyed what you've seen here, please feel free to share using one of the buttons below.


Comments

  1. Fantastic post, Jill ! I can see a book coming here!👏👏👏👌🎯🎯🎯

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Jam Online Scrapbook Six

Welcome to the sixth online scrapbook about The Jam.  When I put together scrapbook number one early in 2021 I genuinely did not think it would take on such a life of its own! I can’t believe how much memorabilia there is out there and how many interesting stories there are to tell. There are some fantastic pieces included in this post. I hope you will enjoy.  The first item is something incredibly special. In fact, it is so special I would even go so far as to say I feel privileged to be able to include it. When I ran a Twitter poll a while ago to find out what people’s favourite Sound Affects track was, the outright winner was a song considered by many to be the finest song lyrically Paul Weller has written in his entire career. I am of course referring to That’s Entertainment. Even people who aren’t too familiar with The Jam know this song. It is a poetic masterpiece. A montage of images… a snapshot of 80s Britain. The story of how Paul wrote That’s Entertainment in ten minutes afte

Paul Weller, The Jam and Riot Stories

It is a known fact among people close to me and those who follow me on Twitter that I am a lifelong fan of The Jam/Paul Weller. I have enjoyed listening to many bands and artists over the years but in my opinion there are few songwriters who have the ability to speak to their listeners through their lyrics the way Paul Weller does. He is a poet and a songwriter in a class of his own. He was also the inspiration for me starting a fanzine back in 1983, although the seeds of the idea started germinating quite a few years earlier. Originally I planned to simply tell the story of how Paul came to be the driving force behind me starting Kindred Spirit, but things took on a life of their own when I had the good fortune to make a connection on Twitter with Steve Hinders, from the USA . I was absolutely mesmerised by some of the photos and stories Steve shared on Twitter of his time spent touring with The Jam. It was however when he told me he’d had an article published in Paul Weller’s own

The Jam Scrapbook Part One

My November 2020 post about Paul Weller, The Jam and Riot Stories was an incredibly special one for both Steve Hinders and me. As a result of us sharing our stories via this blog and on Twitter we were lucky enough to connect with yet more fellow fans. It wasn't long before a string of amazing Jam-related stories and snippets of memorabilia started landing in my inbox and it became clear a follow up post was called for. In fact to do justice to the treasure trove of information people have been kind enough to share with me I’ve decided to spread the goods over three posts. So here goes… To kick off we’re rewinding the clocks right back to the early days of The Jam for instalment number one of “The Jam Scrapbook”. Enjoy! EARLY DAYS Prior to The Jam having the line-up we all knew and loved they underwent a series of personnel changes. Back in 1973 the line up was Paul Weller on bass, Rick Buckler on drums and Steve Brookes on rhythm/lead guitar.  One of my favourite tracks on ‘In Th