Skip to main content

LeLuLus Deni and Timekode

It has been an absolute joy and a pleasure compiling my online scrapbooks about The Jam over the last 18 months or so, but for this blog post I am returning once more to the pages of Kindred Spirit.

80s Electro-pop band LeLuLus

Members of several of the bands I featured in my fanzines went on to achieve success with other bands and projects. I thought it might be rather interesting to see where the journey has taken some of them.

The first person under the spotlight is Deni (also known as Denny Gibson and Yo-Yo), who fronted avant-garde Blackpool electronic band LeLuLus. Since 1989 she has been creating music under the name Timekode.

I found a really interesting broadcast from 2016 on the Music Life Radio website, where Deni speaks about her wide and varied career in detail. She most certainly started in style too, when in 1975 she won a competition run by ‘Top of the Pops’ magazine, resulting in her being presented with a guitar by Marc Bolan.

Deni with Marc Bolan

In the beginning she played with bands called Wildfire, The Lulu Boys and Mistress.

LeLuLus first came to the attention of the music press primarily because as well as playing to audiences at traditional music venues, they played a series of much more intimate gigs in people’s living rooms. This was something that soon gained momentum. Pete Shelley appeared sat in somebody’s armchair one time. John Otway and Wild Willy Barratt arranged their own private performances.

Following on from the success of this they launched the Commuter Computer tour, where they played in people’s work places. I would love to have been a fly on the wall at one of those gigs!

Through researching this post I found out that LeLuLus supported The Jam amongst other bands. I wish I’d known about that when I wrote my fanzine review!

In March 1985 the band appeared on Channel 4’s legendary music show The Tube. I found a brief clip of the interview Deni did with the late great Paula Yates along with a live performance of ‘Down My Spine’.

Deni from LeLuLus interviewed by Paula Yates on The Tube
A turning point for Deni was when LeLuLus were invited to play alongside of New Order at the Royal Albert Hall in October 1986. As was the case on The Tube, the stage backdrop was a living room.

Through her Timekode project, Deni has worked with Wayne County, the late Mark E Smith and there's even a vox simulation of Sir Rod Stewart, featuring the characters of CYBER STEWART & ROBOT ROD on the incredible ‘You’ve Broken Through’

Have a listen and see what you think

 If you’d like to know more, check out Timecode’s website.     

Deni Timekode

I don’t think I appreciated how experimental LeLuLus were when I wrote the piece for Kindred Spirit back in 1983. I was not particularly a fan of electronic music and the feminist in me took rather a dim view of the fact that Deni was a self confessed “sex object”. I see now it was all part of a much bigger picture.

My rather derogatory comments formed part of an interview that appeared in the Belfast fanzine Youth Anthem. I should add however that I never once described Deni as “dumb”.

Having listened to some of the creative work she has produced through Timekode over the decades that followed - some of which was way ahead of its time - if I’d been asked to write a review now I’m sure I would have taken a different view.

Here’s the feature as it appeared in Kindred Spirit issue 2:

ABOUT THE BAND

“Creative, deviant, sexual, self-abusing, negative, intelligent and in need of behaviour modification” are just some of the nicer words used by Denny Gibson to describe the three members of her avant-garde electro pop/rock outfit – LeLuLus. Determination, egotism and as much publicity as possible is the name of the game.

Although they’ve only been together in their present form for a mere nine months, LeLuLus have already received much acclaim in their home town of Blackpool, as well as coverage in the national music press.

The future looks pretty bright too, as the band have recently secured a publishing and production deal with producer Oswin Falquero. This guy is apparently known for his work with Linton Kwesi Johnson, Imagination and Black Slate amongst others.

All this plus the possibility of an appearance on TV show ‘Something Else’ should give Lelulus the publicity they so badly desire.

Coupled with hard work and constant gigging around the country, the trio most definitely have a saleable image. Perhaps this is what separates them from other equally competent up-and-coming bands, because there is no escaping the fact that image plays a very large and important part in the music world of 1983.

LeLuLus are all things bizarre and eye-catching. Men wearing make up and dressing in “them funny clothes”, women flaunting their bodies shamelessly, posing suggestively for cameramen, a stage set which includes robotic mannequins, mirrors, magnifying screens and blinds… You can almost hear the cries of shocked parents when they clap eyes on LeLuLus.

Teenage boys will love self-confessed sex object ‘Delicious Denny’. Feminists will cringe at the very thought of her. I must admit, I can think of better ways of reaching the top of the ladder myself, but look at Debbie Harry, Natasha and Beki Bondage. Denny’s approach is certainly nothing new. It’s a publicity stunt that rarely fails.

ABOUT THE MUSIC

I managed to obtain a copy of the band’s seven track demo tape. Before you read any further I suggest you bear in mind the fact that this is only an example of “the broader, more commercial side of LeLuLus, whereas their live show is far more exciting with an emphasis on rhythm and motivation.”

The seven tracks seem to fall into three different sections and probably the easiest way for me to tell you about la musique de LeLuLus, is to describe each section in turn.

First and foremost is the opening track ‘Indian Fires’ and also ‘F-Beat; (meaning Fever Beat). Both share the same poppy, hum along appeal and the sort of chorus you can’t erase from your mind.

‘Indian Fires’ gives an almost tribal effect, with powerful drum beats and Adam & The Ants type chants echoing in the background.

‘F-Beat’ could quite easily have been an early 70s top 20 hit, bearing great similarities to songs like ‘Get It On’ and ‘Blockbuster’.

Both move forward at a fast pace, proving that LeLuLus really can be an even blend of man and machine sometimes.

Section two… (sounds like a maths exam paper dunnit?) would be made up of ‘One Voice’ and ‘Untouchable’.

The former opens with the words “Oh there’s just one voice/singing all alone/oh it’s just one less than two./ Oh there’s just one voice/singing all alone/as I live my life as one/without you.”

The vocals sound childlike, deliberately so. But nevertheless it’s the ideal pop song, combining the use of computerised sound effects with a catchy little melody line and a handful of simple sentiments.

Slightly more up-tempo, but not quite as infectious is the final track ‘Untouchable’. Once again here you have a prime example of a very simple melody line, spiced and improved with the aid of technology.

In the third and final section is the band’s most recent single ’Boom Boom’ along with ‘Spaceman Bassman’ and ‘Africa’.

Africa by LeLuLus

Being one of those individuals who actually likes a certain degree of life and energy in their music, all three of these tracks act like a rather unpleasant reminder. A reminder that we live in an age where silicon chips, flash gadgets and video screens are rapidly becoming more important than people and emotions. I arrive at this conclusion not because of the lyrical content (most of which is difficult to decipher) but because of the bleak mechanical sound which prevails.

On ‘Boom Boom’ a noise rather like someone winding up a clockwork mouse ticks and creaks throughout.

“I know what happens to your heart” whispers Denny in soft, seductive tones, to which a voice comparable only to that of a Dalek replies “What?”  

The conversation continues in this way, but it’s not until the very end of the record that we do find out what happens to his heart. Suddenly the clockwork mice, Daleks et al start to beat louder and faster, louder and faster like a human’s heart occasionally does.

If all this sounds like a huge insult then I apologise, but at least it proves that LeLuLus manage to bring atmosphere into their music successfully, thus creating weird visions of no-man’s land and dark desolate futures. Perhaps that’s not what was intended. Perhaps I’m taking all this just a little too seriously.

So there you have it. Certainly distinctive, possibly recognisable and almost unique. Whether LeLuLus can make a favourable impression on the necessary people remains to be seen.

*****


Thank you as always for reading. If you would like to join me on Twitter here are the links.

Kindred Spirit Fanzine    Jill Webb Words

And if you have enjoyed what you've seen here, please feel free to share using one of the buttons below.


 

 

 

 

 

 

Comments

  1. I think it's fantastic research & a great work, Jill! I feel it's a book coming nearer & nearer! Can't wait to read it! Joe

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Jam Online Scrapbook Six

Welcome to the sixth online scrapbook about The Jam.  When I put together scrapbook number one early in 2021 I genuinely did not think it would take on such a life of its own! I can’t believe how much memorabilia there is out there and how many interesting stories there are to tell. There are some fantastic pieces included in this post. I hope you will enjoy.  The first item is something incredibly special. In fact, it is so special I would even go so far as to say I feel privileged to be able to include it. When I ran a Twitter poll a while ago to find out what people’s favourite Sound Affects track was, the outright winner was a song considered by many to be the finest song lyrically Paul Weller has written in his entire career. I am of course referring to That’s Entertainment. Even people who aren’t too familiar with The Jam know this song. It is a poetic masterpiece. A montage of images… a snapshot of 80s Britain. The story of how Paul wrote That’s Entertainment in ten minutes afte

Paul Weller, The Jam and Riot Stories

It is a known fact among people close to me and those who follow me on Twitter that I am a lifelong fan of The Jam/Paul Weller. I have enjoyed listening to many bands and artists over the years but in my opinion there are few songwriters who have the ability to speak to their listeners through their lyrics the way Paul Weller does. He is a poet and a songwriter in a class of his own. He was also the inspiration for me starting a fanzine back in 1983, although the seeds of the idea started germinating quite a few years earlier. Originally I planned to simply tell the story of how Paul came to be the driving force behind me starting Kindred Spirit, but things took on a life of their own when I had the good fortune to make a connection on Twitter with Steve Hinders, from the USA . I was absolutely mesmerised by some of the photos and stories Steve shared on Twitter of his time spent touring with The Jam. It was however when he told me he’d had an article published in Paul Weller’s own

The Jam Scrapbook Part One

My November 2020 post about Paul Weller, The Jam and Riot Stories was an incredibly special one for both Steve Hinders and me. As a result of us sharing our stories via this blog and on Twitter we were lucky enough to connect with yet more fellow fans. It wasn't long before a string of amazing Jam-related stories and snippets of memorabilia started landing in my inbox and it became clear a follow up post was called for. In fact to do justice to the treasure trove of information people have been kind enough to share with me I’ve decided to spread the goods over three posts. So here goes… To kick off we’re rewinding the clocks right back to the early days of The Jam for instalment number one of “The Jam Scrapbook”. Enjoy! EARLY DAYS Prior to The Jam having the line-up we all knew and loved they underwent a series of personnel changes. Back in 1973 the line up was Paul Weller on bass, Rick Buckler on drums and Steve Brookes on rhythm/lead guitar.  One of my favourite tracks on ‘In Th