Skip to main content

Poetry Part 3


The first four poems were all featured in issue three of Kindred Spirit and I’ve added one of my own poems at the foot of the post also. I hope you will enjoy reading them.


Evaporate 
By Janis

Immiscible chemicals you and I,
volatile like, unstable vapour,
impending explosion
into possession.

Dangerous to think
don’t add alcohol –
you won’t like the result.
Sick, sick for you.

Guide it, nurture it and
it will grow for you.
Disregard it, spurn,
it could just evaporate.

I will just evaporate.


Poem entitled Doledrums by Kev Webster


Ice 
By Catherine Grimshaw

Icicle fingers are cold and stiff,
they point very hard and
the tops stare at you as if
you are an icicle too.
Stalagmite, stalactite are all
of the same, they are too cold
and join in this game,
except when they melt.
Icy cold stares are frozen
like hell. Ice is a word, ice is
a smell? Ice is not nice,
just like lice or like mice,
but it’s cheap at the price,
is the icicle ice.
Icicle, lice-icle, mice-icle
ice. Cold, hard, frozen
and ice-pointing and cool.
Into the drink,
icicle ice pops
rattle and clink.


I Am There 
By Paul Jowett

When the leaves fall gently in the autumn,
And the skylark calls its sad goodbye.
When the wind howls loudly down the chimney,
And the flowers beneath the soil all lie –
I am there.

When the snow falls softly on your forehead,
And the earth lies dormant ‘neath your feet.
When the sun looks coldly down upon you,
And the Yule log crackles in the heat –
I am there.

When the snowdrop rears its head to greet you,
And the blackbird sings a merry tune.
When the larks leap gaily in the meadows,
And the owl swoops dark against the moon –
I am there.

When the golden sun in summer rises,
And the bee hums as it passes by.
When the garden fills your world with beauty,
And you watch the painted butterfly –
I am there.

When all your loved ones are around you,
When fun and laughter fills the air.
When you are laid in bed and sleeping,
When all your memories you share –
I am there.


The Twin Flames

You are a reflection of me
A mirror image of what I see
All that you feel, 
I feel it too
My strengths, my failings 
I see in you.
Those glowing shades 
of gold and red
The spark you ignited 
inside my head,
without you 
my life is incomplete,
a jigsaw puzzle 
with a missing piece.
Without you 
my world is no longer ablaze,
Shades of misty blue 
are all that remain.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Jam Online Scrapbook Six

Welcome to the sixth online scrapbook about The Jam.  When I put together scrapbook number one early in 2021 I genuinely did not think it would take on such a life of its own! I can’t believe how much memorabilia there is out there and how many interesting stories there are to tell. There are some fantastic pieces included in this post. I hope you will enjoy.  The first item is something incredibly special. In fact, it is so special I would even go so far as to say I feel privileged to be able to include it. When I ran a Twitter poll a while ago to find out what people’s favourite Sound Affects track was, the outright winner was a song considered by many to be the finest song lyrically Paul Weller has written in his entire career. I am of course referring to That’s Entertainment. Even people who aren’t too familiar with The Jam know this song. It is a poetic masterpiece. A montage of images… a snapshot of 80s Britain. The story of how Paul wrote That’s Entertainment in ten minutes afte

Paul Weller, The Jam and Riot Stories

It is a known fact among people close to me and those who follow me on Twitter that I am a lifelong fan of The Jam/Paul Weller. I have enjoyed listening to many bands and artists over the years but in my opinion there are few songwriters who have the ability to speak to their listeners through their lyrics the way Paul Weller does. He is a poet and a songwriter in a class of his own. He was also the inspiration for me starting a fanzine back in 1983, although the seeds of the idea started germinating quite a few years earlier. Originally I planned to simply tell the story of how Paul came to be the driving force behind me starting Kindred Spirit, but things took on a life of their own when I had the good fortune to make a connection on Twitter with Steve Hinders, from the USA . I was absolutely mesmerised by some of the photos and stories Steve shared on Twitter of his time spent touring with The Jam. It was however when he told me he’d had an article published in Paul Weller’s own

The Jam Scrapbook Part One

My November 2020 post about Paul Weller, The Jam and Riot Stories was an incredibly special one for both Steve Hinders and me. As a result of us sharing our stories via this blog and on Twitter we were lucky enough to connect with yet more fellow fans. It wasn't long before a string of amazing Jam-related stories and snippets of memorabilia started landing in my inbox and it became clear a follow up post was called for. In fact to do justice to the treasure trove of information people have been kind enough to share with me I’ve decided to spread the goods over three posts. So here goes… To kick off we’re rewinding the clocks right back to the early days of The Jam for instalment number one of “The Jam Scrapbook”. Enjoy! EARLY DAYS Prior to The Jam having the line-up we all knew and loved they underwent a series of personnel changes. Back in 1973 the line up was Paul Weller on bass, Rick Buckler on drums and Steve Brookes on rhythm/lead guitar.  One of my favourite tracks on ‘In Th