Skip to main content

Poetry Part One

As outlined in the first post on this blog, one of my main objectives when starting Kindred Spirit was to provide an outlet for budding poets to showcase their work. Indeed, throughout all four issues of the fanzine the inclusion of poetry remained an important aspect.

I have always been a firm believer that variety is the spice of life and I clearly recall making a concerted effort to include poems covering a wide range of topics when making my selections from the hundreds that were sent to me.

34+ years later I look forward to sharing some of the poetry all over again, so to start the ball rolling here are four poems, the latter two being very much of their time (1983-1984). There will be many more to follow over the coming months.

A Dulac illustration from 'Stealers of Light'

After Contemplating a Dulac Illustration
by John Tufail

Is it death I fear
or her attendants?
Gathered
not from one broken dream,
but from many.
Fragments.
Fragments, dislocated demons.
uneasily together.
It is her eyes
that drew me in.
Her beckoning arms
bid me enter.
Her pointing finger
bids me pass.
Only she
is at once personal
and universal.
Those others
staring,
unfocussed, uncaring
into some other universe.
Not my reality.
Not mine,
but there nevertheless.
I must pass by –
untouched?


The Walk Home
By Jill Pullen

The silvery,
sugar-coated tarmac
glistens
beneath a half eaten moon.
Like some fairy-tale scene,
that makes children squeal
with delight,
excitement
and twinges of fear.

A tiny
bedraggled black kitten
peeps out
from behind a graffiti-torn fence.
Glassy eyes shining,
like lovers reunited,
together,
for whenever
they need to feel needed.

Motionless hedgerows
hang lifelessly
in the misty blue
midnight blue air.
My footsteps slice,
like a ruby-coated knife,
past the sleeping,
who lie
oblivious to the night.


The Berlin Wall
by Neil Hay

Wall on one side, wall on the next
Wall made of blood, not of bricks
Cuts people in half, cuts them down,
They had no choice as they cut up the ground.

They were on one side at two, the other at three.
Is this the way we should live in the land of the free?
A dead body lies on barbed wire, blood on the wall,
What does this achieve? I’ll tell you, fuck all.

Pack of cards, see them fall
Watch them die on the Berlin Wall.
Choices made in the middle of the night,
Watch them fight for their rights.

You made them die, you were the cause,
Now it’s up to you to break down the wall.
You took them apart and broke their souls
Now watch them die as they try to climb the wall.

And now the bombs move into place,
To advance even more, the nuclear war race.
A nuclear battle field, Berlin will fall,
No tears, no survivors on both sides of the wall.

Quiet now, dormant as hell.
No-one lived in Berlin after it fell.
Streets are empty, no-one lives here,
No-one will for many years.

Berlin is dead, blown to bits,
The world watched on TV “The Berlin Blitz”.


Another Bomb in Belfast
by Neil Hay

Machine gun fire rattles on,
Another mother loses her son.
How many more deaths ‘til they realise
The longer it goes on
The more it multiplies?
Another bomb in Belfast,
Another kid is dead,
Another sniper’s bullet
Got him in the head.

Another shot from a sniper,
Every day it’s the same,

The people live in terror,
The people live in pain.
There’s a soldier in the middle,
He doesn’t know why he’s there;
The MP’s sent him over
In the middle of the last bomb scare.

Another bomb in Belfast
Another kid is dead.

Another street in ruins,
Everyone has fled.
Another bomb in Belfast
And it won’t be the last.
MPs refuse to discuss it
But the killing doesn’t pass.

Another baby’s died,
Her body is put to the ground.
There’s violence in the streets,
In the cities and in the towns.

Another bomb in Belfast,
Another kid is dead.
Another sniper’s bullet
Got him in the head.
Another bomb in Belfast,
Another car in flames,
Another charcoaled body,
A body without a name.

Another bomb in Belfast
And it won’t be the last
MPs refuse to discuss it
But the killing doesn’t pass –
On the streets of Belfast.

What is wrong with this world?
We’re killing the people we know,
We don’t give our children time to grow
We’re fighting an everlasting war,

What’s the reason? What’s it all for?


I now have a dedicated poetry blog call Jill Webb Words. If you would like to visit, the link is here: http://jillwebbwords.blogspot.com 

Comments

  1. Hi Jill,

    I just came across your blog on the Hull Music Archive and I saw your "how it all started" page has disappeared when I tried to read it. I'm a Hull artist and local gig-goer who makes zines, and I released one with poetry in it earlier this year - seems like we are "kindred spirits" haha. I had no idea there were fanzines in Hull back in the 80s and I love the Hull music scene history and I really want to see scans and things and hear about its past.

    Could you let me know more or let me know what happened to the post?

    Thanks Jill :)
    Rosie Collins
    please reply to rosie181297@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Jam Online Scrapbook Six

Welcome to the sixth online scrapbook about The Jam.  When I put together scrapbook number one early in 2021 I genuinely did not think it would take on such a life of its own! I can’t believe how much memorabilia there is out there and how many interesting stories there are to tell. There are some fantastic pieces included in this post. I hope you will enjoy.  The first item is something incredibly special. In fact, it is so special I would even go so far as to say I feel privileged to be able to include it. When I ran a Twitter poll a while ago to find out what people’s favourite Sound Affects track was, the outright winner was a song considered by many to be the finest song lyrically Paul Weller has written in his entire career. I am of course referring to That’s Entertainment. Even people who aren’t too familiar with The Jam know this song. It is a poetic masterpiece. A montage of images… a snapshot of 80s Britain. The story of how Paul wrote That’s Entertainment in ten minutes afte

Paul Weller, The Jam and Riot Stories

It is a known fact among people close to me and those who follow me on Twitter that I am a lifelong fan of The Jam/Paul Weller. I have enjoyed listening to many bands and artists over the years but in my opinion there are few songwriters who have the ability to speak to their listeners through their lyrics the way Paul Weller does. He is a poet and a songwriter in a class of his own. He was also the inspiration for me starting a fanzine back in 1983, although the seeds of the idea started germinating quite a few years earlier. Originally I planned to simply tell the story of how Paul came to be the driving force behind me starting Kindred Spirit, but things took on a life of their own when I had the good fortune to make a connection on Twitter with Steve Hinders, from the USA . I was absolutely mesmerised by some of the photos and stories Steve shared on Twitter of his time spent touring with The Jam. It was however when he told me he’d had an article published in Paul Weller’s own

The Jam Scrapbook Part One

My November 2020 post about Paul Weller, The Jam and Riot Stories was an incredibly special one for both Steve Hinders and me. As a result of us sharing our stories via this blog and on Twitter we were lucky enough to connect with yet more fellow fans. It wasn't long before a string of amazing Jam-related stories and snippets of memorabilia started landing in my inbox and it became clear a follow up post was called for. In fact to do justice to the treasure trove of information people have been kind enough to share with me I’ve decided to spread the goods over three posts. So here goes… To kick off we’re rewinding the clocks right back to the early days of The Jam for instalment number one of “The Jam Scrapbook”. Enjoy! EARLY DAYS Prior to The Jam having the line-up we all knew and loved they underwent a series of personnel changes. Back in 1973 the line up was Paul Weller on bass, Rick Buckler on drums and Steve Brookes on rhythm/lead guitar.  One of my favourite tracks on ‘In Th